July 4, 2015

The Abductress: Crossing the Border of What's Funny

Me: Sexually deprived college kids get kidnapped then sexually attacked by a tall woman who makes aphrodisiacs! Can't you just see the people rolling in the aisles?

Myself: Um. Not really. What's funny about young men being raped?

Me: Oh, come on now. Is it really rape? It's a farcical costume drama, goddammit.

Myself: It's still rape. Hell, it even still comes with shame! Plus: Do you think it's a coincidence that the screenwriter made the rapist Japanese? I think he subconsciously knew, there was something despicable about this so he pinned it on the Japanese!

Me: Good point.

Myself: Now I know what you're going to say next: But the horny guy wants it! But remember: He's the only one who doesn't get it.

Me: True again. Wow! You really can read my mind. But what about the diarrhea sequence. You know. That scene where the male students and the teacher (Choi Jong-hoon) all eat food that gives them the runs? Didn't you find that funny?

Myself: Actually, I did. I'm not saying this movie wasn't funny at all or that I'm above a good fart joke. I'm simply saying this wasn't satirical or wacky or slapstick-y or anything else enough to be funny. At all.

Me: Fair enough.

Myself: Did you find it weird that this is the second movie in a row that had a running gag about a semen-encrusted object making contact with someone's face?

Me: Oh my God! I totally did? What the hell's that about?

Myself: No frigging idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment