January 19, 2021

Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds

In the CGI universe depicted in Kim Yong-hwa's purgatorial fantasy Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds, the honorable soul is a rare one. Who am I to argue? Looking around my own circle of friends, the highly principled person isn't the rule. Most are a confused mix — sometimes taking the high road, mostly putting the self first with a rationalized spin. As for myself, should I look into the Mirror of Karma that materializes in this afterlife adventure film, I wouldn't see the noble acts of Kim Jong-ha (Cha Tae-hyun), a fireman/momma's-boy whose career has been built upon good deeds. I've never rescued eight humans from a fiery end. The sinister God of Murder would hardly let me proceed to the next level without comment. He'd damn me then and there. My shot at getting through all seven levels of Limbo is slim. A paragon I am not.

I would drown in the River of Indolence. I would get my face slapped by the Goddess of Betrayal. As for the Hell of Deceit, I'm guessing everyone I know would burst into flames. But like above ground, these hereafter judges seem pretty lenient when it comes to falsehoods. Everyone lies. Everyone lies all the time. And apparently, the Great Arbitrators are pretty forgiving on that count. And maybe that's the problem. Not with the movie, no, that's a whole other issue. Do good. Be better. Speak truth. Relish the special effects. I won't say I liked this movie because that wouldn't be honest. Disagree? Then you'll need to see the sequel posthaste: Along With the Gods: The Last 49 Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment