March 12, 2022

The Classroom of Youth: She Loves Him, Loathes Him, Loves Him

The script of The Classroom of Youth is certainly quotable.

"I scanned the crotch first every time time the three of you were born."

"In every respect, I should be the first to taste a man."

"Gangsters use violence regardless of gender."

"When I'm with you, I get electric sparks in my body."

"I'd rather play chest with Ghengis Khan in Hell."

"Let's be eternal bachelors like Jesus Christ."

"Run around naked and then get hit by lightning and die!"

This curious rom-com about a sweet, reckless bastard (Shin Sung-il) who falls hard for a frugal goody two-shoes (Um Aing-ran) has unforgettable plot points throughout, too: a shameless crossdressing episode, a kissing raffle with alcohol wipes, a hair-focused fashion show, a sisterly wrestling match, and a staged double suicide at seas. Director Kim Soo-yong (Seashore Village), aims for an unlikely upbeat ending and oddly enough, the man pulls it off. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment