June 3, 2023

Tune in for Love: Not a Static Romance

Now that my boyfriend has gone abroad for three months, I've become much more open to seeing the long-resisted romantic movies that normally make me cringe. Oh yes. Since my own lovelife is confined to Kakao video chats, I'm desperately seeking out sappy Korean movies, feel-good fables of the heart, each sneakily awaiting to make me cry. This week's treacly panacea is Tune in for Love, Jung Ji-woo's '90s-era tale of a high school girl (Kim Go-eun) who meets the dream-thug (Jung Hae-in) at the bakery run by her surrogate sister (Kim Guk-hee).

She's an orphaned aspiring writer; he's a high school dropout fresh out of juvie. Will they find happiness together? If so, she'll have to find a better job than her factory gig and overlook the overtures of a smarmy boss (Park Hae-joon). And he'll have to stay out of prison, land a radio gig, and deduce the password code she gave him so they could stay in touch during his military service. In the world of movie romance, these are not insurmountable obstacles. Wedding bells aren't a shoe-in, however. Hence the box of tissues I'd advise you to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment